Quick Review - Shitty New Cafe´ / Coffee Place in West County

Wednesday, February 25, 2009
LOGO REMOVED BECAUSE SOMEONE GOT THEIR FEELINGS HURT


ALERT! This is a real review! Not the usual Bullshit!


Lone Wolf Coffee Company
15480 Clayton Road
Ballwin, Missouri 63011
Phone: 636-527-7027



They've been open for a month, maybe more and we've been twice. Both times for an early dinner and post-mangia coffee. The first night we arrived to a chaotic gathering of people, presumably friends of the owner or family maybe, and even though their numbers we less than 20, the FIVE people behind the counter acted like a circus train just pulled up. It was kind of funny, in a very irritating sort of way, like the kind of funny you experience when a clown steps on your foot.

We worked for about 10 minutes to order our food, two sandwiches, to only discover that they don't have a soda fountain. They only serve 1-liter bottles of Pepsi products out of an open-face cooler next to the register. Very tacky and disappointing 1) because we hate Pepsi and 2) because duh! people usually want fountain soda not plastic bottled soda especially in an eat-in restaurant.


Once we had finished our order, we sat at a two top by the windows near the register so that we could watch people coming in and out and to see their reaction to the place. The reaction was pretty universal; a mix of "what do you mean you don't have fountain soda" and "how fucking hard can it be to order a sandwich" with a touch of "hey a new place!".

My wife and I sat and watched and looking over the decor while we waited and waited for our food. It was maybe their second week so we expected it to take a while. The ambiance is, well not particularly appealing unless you like eating in a cycling center. Our guess is that the owner Ralph Pfremmer is a cyclist. (Refer to an earlier post on "Ah This Is Bullshit" for our opinion on cyclists) There are pictures of dickfaces in those stupid skin-tight cycling outfits all over the place. These pictured are scattered among framed racing numbers, because you know they're artwork, and photos of mountain landscape that they got at a starving artist sale. The walls are clad in fako-stone as to give the feel of a mountain lodge I suppose, but it really just doesn't make any sense with the rest of the cycling shit. There is a fireplace in one corner with a stage set up for a two piece band, which might be nice at some point, but I hope they stick with improving the food and service first.


Speaking of the food, once it came we were overwhelmed with boredom. I had the Mt. Fuji ($6.95) which is thinly sliced house-roasted beef with red pepper, cilantro, red onion & a wasabi sauce. Its served on split baguette. My wife had the St. Helena ($6.95) a swiss, cheddar & mozzarella cheeses w/ grilled pepper sandwich, served on balsamic-rubbed baguette. Hers came with house-made chips and mine the Paradise Lake salad. My sandwich was really just a dry roast beef. The red peppers were nearly untastable and the wasabi sauce tasted like little more than mayonnaise. The cilantro and red onion were represented by a single sprig and two rings respectively. The best part of the sandwich was the bread, which was actually very good. The salad was decent but drowning in its dressing, something that I really hate. The St. Helena was equally boring and tasteless. The cheeses were ice cold so they tasted like nothing and the grilled peppers were bland and kind of oily. The bread was clearly rubbed with something as evidenced by the oily stain on the slices, but it offered little to tickle the tongue. The chips were regrettably overdone and tasted like that nasty burnt Lays that you accidentally eat when you're not looking.


Once we finished the sandwiches, which took 15 minutes to get, I orders the coffee. They pour Kaldi's coffees which are in my opinion some of the best beans in the St. Louis area, if not the best. The barista (funny word) was very competent but under supported by his fellow counter-staff. I had a brewed cup, which was good, but then again its Kaldi's coffee really al Lone Wolf did was brew it. My wife had a caramel macchiato which should have been excellent given the coffee, but it had that burnt taste that espresso takes on when it's over-expressed or burnt in the grinder. Again it was early in their run so we figured we'd come back.


And we did about three weeks later (maybe two) This time we were the only people there. It was about 4:45pm and we had the place and staff to ourselves so we expected a different experience. Instead we were met with two different counter people that didn't know the menu or how to operate the POS machine. This time I had the Marrakesh ($6.95) Harissa-grilled chicken breast with lettuce, tomato, onion, spices and yogurt sauce, served on grilled flatbread. My wife did the St. Helena again. She wanted soup because it was ass-cold out, but all they had was some kind of beef stew soup that just didn't sound appealing. I had the salad as a side again and she the chips; we're predictable like that. When I read the description of the Marrakesh my first thought was of savory spiciness and tangy yogurt sauces, the flavors of Indian and Moroccan cuisine, all held in a soft buttery naan. Instead what I got was a shitty, dried up cracker with room temperature chicken strips and lettuce. There was absolutely no spice, no seasoning, no flavor. It was so bland that I had to open it up and salt and pepper it. The flat bread was like a bad lavash that completely disintegrated when I tried to eat the sandwich ala an old Ortega Taco shell. My salad was floating in dressing again. My wife's St. Helena was a little better than the last time, but the chips tasted like they were fried in oil they'd been using since we were in last.


The best part of this second experience was that we were the only people in the restaurant for quite some time, except for a couple of guys that we know to be the owners. They didn't know that we knew, but we did. As we sat and ate these two walked around the cafe and talked to each other periodically, moved a table here or there but were definitely not busy. They were however too busy to bother to ASK THE ONLY DINERS IN THE PLACE HOW THE FOOD WAS or even say hello. Very disappointing. But the stupidest thing I have ever experienced in a cafe was when one of these dipshits took the idiot that couldn't figure out the POS when we ordered and started showing her how to fold cloth napkins AT THE TABLE RIGHT NEXT TO US. There are probably 25-30 tables in this place but the only one they could use was the little two top next to us and all the while he never looked over and asked how we were doing, ever. Total Asshole.

We did coffee again but it was the same shit they served last time, so I won't bore you with the details. The only remarkable part of the coffee this time was that it took nearly 15 minutes for the girl behind the machine to make a vanilla latte and when she handed it to me she gave a half hearted "sorry". I wasn't sure if she was sorry for the wait or for how bad the latte was.


Now again the place is new, but come on. This Ralph Pfremmer guy is supposed to be some kind of big foodie but his cafe is crap. I give it 6 months, 9 tops, unless Mr. Pfood has enough cash to pump into it and keep it open. In that case I'll give it a year, unless they (he) gets with the program.


-The Chief



16 comments:

the jamester said...

gross. i'll pass.

The Chief said...

The Jamester?

Green Sage Page said...

I absolutely love the Lone Wolf. They are fast, efficient and offer healthy alternatives in a neighborhood where you often find chain stores. It is very hard to Ballwin to find a place that offers creative salads and healthy options. I'm a vegetarian, so my options are even more limited. Kudos to them for providing a laid back atmosphere where you can relax, have a cup of coffee and not be bombarded by typical food fare.

The ralph account said...

I find it troubling that you would single me out--likely because you know me and you have a problem with me or have had a problem with me in some capacity. I am a very visible person, very busy and very concerned... and...I enjoy the fact that I can back myself up pretty good. You left out the most important thing in your story/report. Why? Why single me out? It is because you are a coward. You have a bone to pick with me and are hiding behind the internet. You should be ashamed.

I would recommend that you come and see me, so we can sort this thing out, we'll talk and you can call me an asshole to my face if you want. No big deal, people have called me an asshole plenty of times, pretty much all my life. Sometimes I listen to their point, take it in and decide if I will make changes, other times I can't let things go, I get all mad and stuff, and then we'll square off until things are settled. Been doing it for years, conflict resolution...it is good for the soul. You will learn this. How do you think you will measure up?

Either way, Lone Wolf has come a long way and it is indeed a work in progress. People do like the food and it is indeed an interesting place. Gosh darn it, people kind of dig it. By the way Chief, it is an incubator, a new brand, and it goes without saying that it was a little slow at first. Whew, it was our counties deepest recession on record the week we opened. Pretty darned busy now, my kid works there, so do a lot of my friends kids making their way. We donate a lot to the community too, hell, I am taking the city our on a bike ride tomorrow, because they asked me to. Hey, you aren't looking at my kid are you, chief. Bad idea.

Lone Wolf is supposed to be different, different like you try to be. The problem is with your stuff is that the flame bait genre of e-reporting/bashing has played itself out. As unconventional and edgy that you might think you are by hiding and ranting, and taking potshots, and pirating logos, vids and putting lame commentary within--by using alias and taking potshots without showing your face...well, it is just s...over. Authenticity is what's working, Chief. I could likely help you with this stuff. But that would require you to come out and would most likely require an apology on your part for calling me an asshole. You see, that is where the real problem is. You getting this Chief?

So it is up to you, come and call me an asshole to my face, or apologize. The choice is yours.

You see, I've been trying real hard lately, well, at least for a couple days, and I try not to take things too personally, but dude, you done called me out...I think you should follow up, ifyouknowhatimtalkinbout

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this poser is trying to replicate that neo-conservative dipshit that runs that other lame-o place... Kayaks.... So tired

The ralph account said...

Why don't you go ahead and out yourself Chief? You will like it much more and hell, why suffer longer than necessary with the little man syndrome? Set yourself free, Chief. You certainly wouldn't hide behind all that garbage you've been spewing if you were to be held accountable for it, now would you? All the little man baggage just falls away when you take the leap into backing up your own authenticity take down all alias and live. The only thing left is pulp and the only thing you can rely on is your own ability to back things up. In the bigger picture this is much more effective than launching bombs over the bow with a hidden agenda.

You have to be pretty sharp to start a viral campaign and I am not sure you are up for the task.

Regardless of your hidden agenda, what is missing in order to make your point is authenticity, so you basically suck. You and I both know this. This is the difference between people like you and people like me. I am intuitive because of my experience in matters like these and can back stuff up, you are a little man who has not yet figured things out, and you don't have the balls to say what it is that is bothering you to my face.

Have you been reading my blog Chief? http://theralphaccount.blogspot.com/

I think you have. Yours has the perspective of typical generation X tossback. Are you employed? A lot of you guys were the first to go. Me, I have to create jobs.

Now, the fact that Kayaks is mentioned is interesting, is it not? What a coincidence? Why don't you simply say what you would like to say and get it over with.

And Kaldi's in the other post? Sorry, Kaldi's is not my roaster. Nor do we have a fireplace and no, we do not fold napkins. That was a speaker series that you walked in upon. We do have a band now. Do you have a band Chief? It is called the Brown Dog Blues Band and you know what Chief. I am the fucking singer and harp player. So why don't you put that in your story. "Asshole foodie sucks at singing and playing the harmonica". This is a work in progress too, Chief, just like my bike racing, just like my marriage, just like all the other businesses, just like life in general. Just a bunch of stuff that I do that you sit back and make fun of. Want a Schlafly product, now proudly served at Lone Wolf, along with other Beer and wine and the usual good food that everyone likes.

Hey Chief, now, don't tell anyone, but the Lone Wolf place, it is actually my home office. It just has a cash register in it. Isn't that brilliant? That is why I have all those pictures. Those are my friends and family doing active living things. You got to check out the Pugsley Mountain bike up in there. I also just put a Klepper Kayak on the wall, it's pretty friggin cool.

Hey Chief, the Blackhawk room opened and man is it busy with parties and stuff. Don't forget to book your Christmas party soon. Call me direct at 314-496-2317, my cell number, in case you don't already have it.

Dude, I can raise your hit count much more than you will ever dream of simply for the fact that I am me and you guys are just a bunch of lame retards.

The fact that I responded is gonna raise your hits for the week. Go ahead and plug it again. I will put it on my blog. Cool enough?

You have to earn your authenticity Chief.

Careful out there.

The Barryman said...

Chief,
The foul language and poor writting really does little to add credibility to your reviews. You obviously just have a bone to pick. Is there anything anywhere that you do like. You sound just plain angry. With that in mind I checked out the Long Wolf Website.

http://www.lonewolfcoffeecompany.com/

It looks like a pretty cool little place. I for one plan on checking it out. I may not be much of a "foodie" but I am constantly on the look out for a new place for a good cup of coffee and a cool atmosphere.

herekittykitty said...

Dude, you so don't know what you are getting yourself into in regards to Lone Wolf Coffee Co. and Pfoodman. Run for cover cuz the Pfoodpeople disagree. We are legion. And yes, I too have been on the receiving end of a death match. Are you accountable?

Dave said...

Its too bad you didn't actually read the review and take from it what you should have. I've been there too and the service is god awful slow. Its weird how you turned a critique of your food and service into some kind of personal attack when I don't see where you get that, except that maybe you just can't take criticism.

You seem like a bit of a baby.

Kate H. said...

Boys, boys, boys! My heavens! LOL!

Ralph, I gotta tell you. I've no experience with either one of you guys. I was looking for info on your establishment. I read the review with a grain of salt. It didn't particularly persuade me either way, but your juvenile remarks have sealed it for me. I have never had any contact with you or your business except for right here and your first impression is beyond atrocious. I will never venture to the county to try your place because you sound like a real asshole. My goodness. Just wanted to give you that heads up. As a businessman trying to build a brand.

The ralph account said...

Kate, well, the chief called me an asshole, I suppose it is ok if you do to. just sayin.

Enjoyed it.

Justin D. said...

Let’s see, super insecure biker, fitness guy that doesn’t like to bleed his own blood…..is this the owner of that restaurant?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W_hPHI-p3O8/SlXtRcCgZ9I/AAAAAAAAAMg/onf-n6yyHMA/s320/dodgeball-2-stiller-armstrong.jpg

Also, I officially hate the word Chief.

The Chief said...

Just to update Ralph has asked me to take down the review as "the right thing to do", but sorry Ralph the review stands. You may not like it but you put yourself out there, expect to get reviewed. When your service is bad and the management behaves like they are doing the customers a favor expect the review to be negative.

Perhaps you should spend more time considering the way you over reacted and less time trying to track me down. You might not like who you find Ralph.

The tet a tet has been fun and I'll admit I get a kick out of ruffling feathers so feel free to continue to comment.

Thanks
The Chief

The ralph account said...

Nobody tracked you down. What? Paranoid and a narcissist? Not a good combo. A mutual acquaintance sent me your stuff, a neighbor of yours in Wildwood. Look, I simply asked you to take it down. Which you should. But leave it up. Who cares? I have a gift card for you if you want to try LW again. And since you were a fat ass once like me, I would like your thoughts on our new menu. Here's your chance to be a consultant on food. Lap it up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ralphie-poo!!! Leave me the fuck outta this dipshit! You wanna start calling me names, i.e. retard, what have you, you best be ready to be smeared to oblivion, you pernicious prevaricating poltroon!! I didn't review your 'little' restaurant. I wouldn't go to such a pretentious area to stuff my gullet! Now who owes an apology asshole?? You best know who you're dealing with before you start flippantly throwing around insults. Only a nimrod would choose to start a business where all that "new wealth" is located. This just tells me that you not only have no style, but that you are a Consumer based worm of the worst type!

Anonymous said...

The more and more this dude talks about his place, the more and more I'm convinced, if I walked in, I'd be overwhelmed with Kayaks junior!